Re: Alternative formats for IDs

2006-01-01 04:34:23
I am in favor of enhancing graphics formats that we
allow for normative versions of our drafts and RFCs.

(Note that this is already allowed for non-normative
things, such as a graphic state machine descriptions
in a .pdf when .txt has a state table.)

However, I would like to limit a new graphic
format to .pdf in the output. I am strongly opposed
to employing the Word format. I also believe
that introducing multiple formats when proposing
a first step towards richer specification formats would
be a mistake; it would be more prudent to start with
one. We could also consider limiting the input
format in these cases to .xml and .jpg/.gif/.png,
so that we, the IETF, would always have the source
to re-generate our documents when we need to
switch from .pdf to something else in the future.

--Jari

P.S. I have prototype tools to deal with the generation
of .pdf from .xml involving figures.