RE: Alternative formats for IDs

2006-01-01 13:57:43

On Sun, 1 Jan 2006, Yaakov Stein wrote:

2: Folks who can't read MS Word documents are also irrelevant.
  It's the "most 'standard' document exchange language on the
  Internet".  (Actually all its versions are from the people
  who invented the Internet, please don't forget to submit an
  IPR note).

[YJS] I don't really believe that there are many people who
can not read MS Word documents. And I believe that the
number of people who can read neither Word nor PDF
is infinitesimally small.

It does not matter how many people can read MSWord. The only
supported formats should be the ones where you know what the
format is (and not the ones that depend on particular program).

Now PDF does qualify but it is basicly an extended version of
PostScript. Since IETF already accepts postscript, the question
should be is there a need for features in PDF that are not
in standard postscript. If there is then we can talk about it.

BTW - PDF also still rather "fluid" format with multiple versions
and not always clear if PDF you create could be read by all readers
in the same way you intended. So if PDF is as format, then exact
version must be specified as well.

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks