Re: Alternative formats for IDs

2006-01-02 04:07:55
Julian Reschke wrote:

If you're concerned with the limitations of ASCII, I'd advise
pushing for something that doesn't have these limitations,
yet is open, stable and really widely available. Such as HTML
4 (strict).

<dreaming>
 I love the new tools.ietf.org/html rfcmarkup magic.  I also
 love the new unpaginated xml2rfc output.  And of course the
 ordinary ASCII xml2rfc output.  But obviously the process
 XML -> xml2rfc -> ASCII -> rfcmarkup -> HTML loses some of
 the details in the XML source.

 xml2rfc has its own HTML output, but this doesn't reflect the
 look and feel of a "real" RFC like rfcmarkup or what faqs.org
 does.  With a new xml2rfc HTML output "compatible" with the
 rfcmarkup style there would be no losses.  Where "compatible"
 means precisely the same format as in the ASCII output, but
 with links, #page-1 etc. anchors, and #section anchors, like
 rfcmarkup.

 In addition xml2rfc could offer further anchors and links,
 anything rfcmarkup can't "see" because it works with the
 plain ASCII text instead of the XML source.

 creating monospaced <pre> output.  Or rather content-based
 style tags (reserving <u> for links it will physically be
 bold, italics, or both.  That works with even Lynx if the
 monitor isn't monochrome)

 Last but not least, if we'd "allow" that as the "normative"
 output in addition to text/plain, then "and now allow also
 UTF-8 for the author address in THIS text/html" is trivial.

 This should also work with XHTML 1.0 strict or XHTML basic.
 Matter of taste, I think that XML is simpler than SGML for
 tools trying to do something with it.
</dreaming>

OTOH the MS Word / PDF idea isn't a dream, it's a nightmare.

                            Bye, Frank