Re: Question about the Neustar logo on www.ietf.org

2006-01-02 15:33:22
At 22:50 02/01/2006, Dave Crocker wrote:
It's traditional, and I think fair. I'll ask the IAD to see if we can get the scale
adjusted.

John Klensin's note does a very nice job of suggesting why it is not *automatically* the right thing to do. In particular, his line of analysis points out the need to a) have an appropriate criterion, and b) apply it consistently. The relationship with CNRI had characteristics vastly different from those with Neustar. My personal opinion about the listing is that I don't know what is right. That's why I like John's effort to approach the question in terms of goals and balance, rather than simply invoking prior practise.

NeuStar is the ".us" Registy and has entered into an open root agreement with the GSMA, supporting the ".gprs" TLD. That the IETF pays to host a link to them may certainly be perceived as a political signal. After Harald's, John's and your mails, to maintain that link and the size of the logo will be perceived as a political RFC 3935 decision. Three choices are possibles (keep it, reduce it, remove it). All now have a meaning.

It would probably be advisable that NeuStar proposes by its own to remove mention and link from the welcome page. A links to a "NeuStar Secretariat" page (not their main commercial page) in the IASA page seems adequate.
jfc