Baby Steps (was RE: Alternative formats for IDs)

2006-01-05 07:32:50
Happy New Year to all!

Many thanks to Yaakov for his excellent handling of the list discussion.  I'm
not very surprised with the way it has gone.  Déjà vu all over again :-)

The challenge is to focus the discussion to try to reach consensus on moving
forward with a process change, i.e., we need to take baby steps to make
progress.

I'd suggest we try to reach consensus first on the following:
Alternative format(s) for IDs, in addition to ASCII text, should be allowed.

One requirement/motivation for this change (as set forth in the ID) is to be
able to include drawings and diagrams with something much more flexible than
ASCII art.

Based on the prior discussion of 'ASCII art', and the current discussion, I see
few people arguing that ASCII text is all we need and that no other formats
should ever be allowed.

Let's set aside for now which format(s), and take that as a later step if we
can take this first step.

Thanks,
Regards,
Jerry