Re: Engineering our way out of a brown paper bag [Re: Consensus based on reading tea leaves]

2006-01-08 05:33:51

On Jan 8, 2006, at 2:24 AM, Yaakov Stein wrote:

I'd suggest requiring that the image format be GIF,
since it's simple, stable, well documented, widely supported in both
freeware and commercial software,
and the patents have expired.

Actually that is not quite right YET.

There are patents relating to the compression used in GIF
that only expire in August 2006,
and a possible that goes into 2007 in some places.
And from experience, these IPR holders have actively defended their
rights.

GNUPLOT long ago dropped support for GIF in favor of PNG for exactly this reason.
I have never heard of IPR claims against PNG.

Regards
Marshall

But, I doubt that we will come to agreement on this subject
before 2007 anyway ;)

Y(J)S