RE: Binary Choices?

2006-01-09 11:01:56
Sam/Sandy,

        See below...

--
Eric

--- [SNIP] ---
-->     Sandy>     Unfortunately, there seems to be a religious dogma
-->     Sandy> among the long-time IETF participants that they never take
-->     Sandy> votes.  All they do is judge rough or smooth concensus, and
-->     Sandy> that reduces our options to simple binary choices.
-->
--> I'm very confused here; as far as I can tell judging consensus works
--> much better with things in the middle than any sort of votes.

Ultimately, you're both right.

Usually, before you can actually seek consensus, you must have an
essentially "binary" choice.  It is hard enough to reach consensus
on simple choices without turning up the process noise by having a
plethora of possible choices.

However, the process of seeking consensus does tend to solicit the
reasons and feelings involved in making choices and this can lead
to solution searches in the "gray-areas" between proposals.

-->
--> --Sam
-->
-->