RE: Binary Choices?

2006-01-10 08:57:26
Ted,

        I think we disagree on fine points and agree on the bigger
points.

        As Melinda Shore aptly put it ('objection to proposed change
to "consensus"' on Saturday, 1/7/2006, at 10:15 AM Eastern Time):

'Consensus process leads to decisions being made through synthesis
 and restatement, and by the time that the question is asked "Do we
 have consensus?" we should pretty much have consensus already.'

While the point at which a question can be asked that is likely to
engender consensus is not always going to be quite this binary, it
is often the case that people will not try to 'call' for consensus
until there are no more than three choices - and usually it will be
when there are no more than two.

--
Eric