Re: Working Group chartering

2006-01-10 09:05:59
Burger, Eric wrote:

IMHO, *way* too many I*E*TF work groups get chartered based on an idea.
We then spend tons of resources on figuring out if the idea will work.
We produce lots of half-baked documents with little basis in working
code.  Then folks try implementing what's been spec'ed, find it doesn't
work, but then find a ton of resistance to change, because the specs are
three years old and "we don't want to break draft-mumble-05
implementations."

I completely agree with you.
I wonder if we are in the minority opinion?
Standardize stuff that already works -- what a concept.

When we see a proposal without any "running code"
to back it up, we should be asking:
"If this is so good, then why aren't you using it yourself?"

If something is an idea, let's make it politically acceptable for the
"work" to be done in the I*R*TF first.

I don't care how the technology gets developed.
IRTF, vendors, universities, whatever.  Show us
running code that's reasonably close to what you
want to standardize.  Let's get feedback from people who
have used the technology, too.

Yes, I agree that the process should be fuzzy - the AD should be able to
figure out if something is likely to work in the real world.  However,
building a work group out of an idea, rather than somewhat working code
or a demonstration framework, should be the exception, rather than the
rule.

Agreed, but I'm no fan of more process rules.
Area Directors who want to produce successful standards
will know how to make this decision.  ADs have to be tough
enough to say "Come back when you've done more work."

Andy