Re: Working Group chartering

2006-01-10 09:11:58

IMHO, *way* too many I*E*TF work groups get chartered based on an idea.
Standardize stuff that already works -- what a concept.

I don't care how the technology gets developed.
IRTF, vendors, universities, whatever.

The current model in the IETF appears to be: Your running code does suggest that this is worth pursuing. So, now let's start all over, with no real concern for preserving that work and develop a fresh wish-list of features.

My suggestion is that we stop doing that, instead using the core of workers who are committed to delivering that running code, to define the requirements. The community then gets to review potential problems with that work. Pseudo-problems, such as "it should do more things" and "I can't give you any specifics, but there might be problems" are out of bounds.

d/
--

Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking