Re: Working Group not chartering

2006-01-11 06:04:07
Likewise, often I see folks bring something that "needs to be solved"
to the IETF.  This can generate lots of interest, especially if the
person with the problem is a customer.  However, that still doesn't
mean the solution space is in the realm of the IETF.

It seems to me that if the problem is not yet well enough understood
that we can see the path to engineer something to deal with it, it
belongs down the hall in the IRTF.

In the always exciting anti-spam arena I have been trying for over a
year to get some activity going in the ASRG on exactly this kind of
topic, where we know what the problem is but we don't understand what
the solutions are, yet.

Regards,
John Levine, johnl(_at_)iecc(_dot_)com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet
for Dummies",
Information Superhighwayman wanna-be, http://www.johnlevine.com, Mayor
"More Wiener schnitzel, please", said Tom, revealingly.