Re: objection to proposed change to "consensus"

2006-01-09 11:20:24

I think these are valuable inputs as well.  There are people involved;
whether these people are happy, whether they will continue to work,
are important factors.  Of course there are religious arguments on the
other side: "I want my architectural diagrams; they work well in the
ITU and I want them here," is on the same level as "I won't use MS
software."

Sam

I disagree that the use of diagrams is a religious issue. Diagrams
are a very simple way to put specification and context together
in a compact notation such that it is easy to move from key point
to key point in a non-linear way. They provide visual hyperlinking.

Here is a good way to judge the value of a diagram:

Look at a diagram presented in an IETF WG session and ask the
questions : does this diagram make the draft easier to understand?
If the answer is yes, then the diagram should probably be in the
draft.

The problem is that it is frequently impossible to translate the
clarity of the graphics used in the presentation to the technology
of ASCII art.

- Stewart