Digression was-Re: objection to proposed change to "consensus"

2006-01-06 11:28:52
At 9:02 AM -0500 1/6/06, Sandy Wills wrote:
When you got married, did you want every person in the audience to stand up
and say "I'm okay with this marriage!"?  No, you wanted the entire room
silent, so that you could hear any objection.

Hi,
        This is a digression.  Hit delete now unless you're willing to digress.

        Speaking as a liturgical die-hard, let me just note that the affirmative
*is* asked in many forms of the marriage ceremony.  In the Episcopal church,
for example, the question takes this form:

(Celebrant)
Will all of you witnessing these promises do all in your power to uphold these
two persons in their marriage?

(People)
We will.

(see http://vidicon.dandello.net/bocp/bocp4.htm for the full text)

        This requires that those who are present at the wedding take the
affirmative step
of saying they will support the marriage, which is considerably more than "I'm
okay with this".
For many who see marriage in sacramental terms, this single statement is why
the sacrament
is a public one, rather than a private one.  The key sacramental act here is
the commitment
of the two people to throw their lot in together and be a family; it does not
need onlookers
(or even a celebrant, as the individuals can exchange vows without one).  But
the public act
is a request for the support of the community for the marriage and is the
public participation in the
sacrament.
        I think there is far too much treating of IETF documents like holy writ
now, so
I not only would not draw a parallel here, I actively discourage any one else
from doing so.
This, in other words, is pure digression.  Don't say I didn't warn you.

                                Ted