RE: objection to proposed change to "consensus"

2006-01-05 14:24:36
Sandy,

        My point - as may be clearer in other posts - is that
the first question "do we want change" is a no-op at best.
Change is natural and inevitable whether we want it or not.
The first useful question is - paraphrasing what Brian said
- what do we need that we do not already have?

        All of us have "needs" that are not satisfied by what
we have - hence the inevitability of change.  But it is not
useful, nor realistic, for any of us to assume that everyone
else is going to drop what they're doing to help us satisfy
our individual "needs."  So the question becomes "Is there a
common subset of our collective individual needs that a large
subset of affected people agree on, that cannot be satisfied
by what we have now?"

        IMO, that is the question we keep coming back to...

--
Eric