Re: PDF, Postscript, and "normative" versions (was: Re: Baby Steps (was RE: Alternative formats for IDs))

2006-01-12 11:44:27
On 1/12/06, John C Klensin <john-ietf(_at_)jck(_dot_)com> wrote:

increasing experience within the IETF and with our style of
developing and working on documents (not just publishing them)
tends to cause both patience and respect for the ASCII graphics
and formats to rise.

I'm surprised folks are apologizing for the initial impression ASCII
text gives, and that people feel MS Word or PDF would represent some
sort of advance. I find both of those formats difficult to use, and my
reaction when I see a spec in PDF or MS Word is to assume the
responsible organization is clueless. The rare specification requiring
elaborate illustrations would be better as HTML with a liberal
sprinkling of fragment identifiers.

--

Robert Sayre