RE: Wireless at IETF

2006-01-18 13:40:32
|> -----Original Message-----
|> From: ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
[mailto:ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org]
|> On Behalf Of Ted Faber
|> Sent: Thursday, January 19, 2006 5:57 AM
|> To: ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
|> Subject: Re: Wireless at IETF
|>
|> On Wed, Jan 18, 2006 at 10:30:31AM -0800, Hallam-Baker,
|> Phillip wrote:
|> > The result is that 70% of wireless access points are open and can be
|> > used by Internet criminals to achieve anonymous access.
|>
|> Loaded statement?  Check.
|> Precise statement? Check.
|> Supported statement? Hmmmm.....

I don't see the 70% of access points being open actually.  My own figures
indicate less than 20% within the local area, information from capital cities
tends to suggest a slightly higher figure but certainly not that high.  But
then, how many wired networks have link layer access controls?  I don't see
very many of those and implementing it is extremely difficult unless you have
everything set up exactly as the hardware has been designed for.  For example
trying to use password/password combinations instead of token/password has
proven problematic in one practical case I'm aware of for activating port
locking.  It amuses me just how easy it is to walk into a business and plug a
system in with full access to the network.

Most people/businesses do not appear to have security as a high priority.

Darryl (Dassa) Lynch