Re: I-D ACTION:draft-palet-ietf-meeting-venue-selection-criteria-04.txt

2006-01-22 02:04:35
Joe Abley wrote:

On 20-Jan-2006, at 11:55, Wijnen, Bert (Bert) wrote:

Well said Barry!

From: Barry Leiba

My biggest concern is in sections "2.3.  Freedom of Participation"
and "2.5.  Attendance Limitation and Visas", in that I'm not sure
how realistic they are.  Without getting overly into politics (let's
please not), I think they reflect a somewhat naïve view of some of
the political realities.  Specifically...

    Meetings should not be held in countries where some
attendees could
    be disallowed entry or where freedom of speech is not
guaranteed for
    all participants.

Indeed. Applied with vigour, this restriction implies that no country is suitable to meet in. That leaves us with parts of Antarctica, a floating venue located in international waters, or zero-g bar BOFs in outer space. I favour the latter.

A slightly more realistic approach might be to hold meetings regularly in different countries with (ideally) divergent security/ immigration policies, in the hope that successive meetings might at least exclude different sets of people.

This is a very important issue as we consider visiting countries we've never
visited before and as visa regulations change in countries we have been
to often. It would be very useful to know how more people feel we should
tune these criteria.

   Brian