Call for input: draft-hartman-mailinglist-experiment-00.txt

2006-01-31 20:06:08

As many have noticed, I have prepared a draft on an RFC 3933
experiment for mailing list management.

The goal is to give very liberal powers to the IESG equivelent to the
powers originally given to the IESG under RFC 2418 for working group
lists over all IETF lists.

The main reason for an experiment is that I believe that we can get
this published fast and a new BCP will take a while.

I clearly need to make the following changes:

1) Incorporate the IAB appeal response.

2) Make it clear that this applies to non-wg lists and to clarify what
    an IETF list is.  John Klensin has supplied excellent text for
    this.

I'm also asking the IESG to comment on whether they would find the
experiment useful.  I think one of the major requirements for an RFC
3933 experiment is whether the stakeholders would find the experiment
useful.
So I need to see if the IESG even wants this.

I'm interested in feedback on the following issues:

* Is 18 months too long for the experiment.  I don't think so but have
received one comment requesting 12 months.

* Are there limits that need to be placed on the IESG's authority?  My
  preference is to grant the same authority available under RFC 2418 for WG
lists to all IETF lists.

* Are there other changes that need to be made?

--Sam