Re: What's an experiment?

2006-02-22 00:45:39
I did ask for this thread to be general. No problem if you
want to discuss your (least) favourite protocols here,
but please change the subject line...

Thanks

    Brian

Andrew Newton wrote:

On Feb 18, 2006, at 11:39 AM, Frank Ellermann wrote:

Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:

Given the impressive lack of success of BEEP vs SOAP it would
be much better for the IESG to formally recognize that this
attempt to ratify a 'me too' protocol in 9 months has
backfired and is now harming IETF Web Services efforts.

Are they related ?  I had the vague impression that BEEP is
a way to multiplex one TCP-connection, and SOAP is a kind of
RPC with XML over http-post (and other bindings).  Not the
same layer, different problems => different solutions (?)

Frank,

You are right. They solve two different problems. In fact, I believe one of the bragging points about SOAP (other than it can defeat your firewalls and snooker your security admins) is that it can be run over various transfer protocols, such as that defined in RFC 3288. If great harm can come from using SOAP as intended, that says more about SOAP than it does BEEP.

-andy