Re: [spf-discuss] IAB Response to the Appeal from Julian Mehnle

2006-03-02 10:30:01
when editing documents that purport to describe existing practices and
protocols, there is often a conflict between documenting existing
practice and describing desirable practice (or undesirable practice).
this conflict results in confusion of goals, and one possible result is
that the document describes neither existing practice nor desirable
practice.

in resolving the conflict it is sometimes useful to separate the two
efforts:

- describe existing practice, warts and all
- describe what is believed to be good or bad about the existing
practice

this doesn't have to be done in separate documents but the efforts
should be separate so that each effort can have a clear focus.  once
there is an understanding about what is good and/or bad about existing
practice, notes or footnotes can be added to the description of
existing practice to inform the reader of these annotations.

if there's not consensus about what is good or bad about existing
practice, it may be useful to document the lack of consensus.

Keith

p.s. I am personally of the opinion that SPF in all but a few corner
cases is harmful to the interoperability of Internet mail, so I'm very
keen to have those limitations documented.

-------
subscription,
please go to