RE: Multinational Internet or Balkanization?

2006-03-02 10:26:23
You puny creatures do not grasp my fiendish plan! Victory, your name is
Plankton!

<squelch>

Well this sucks.

-----Original Message-----
From: JFC (Jefsey) Morfin [mailto:jefsey(_at_)jefsey(_dot_)com]
Sent: Thursday, March 02, 2006 12:12 PM
To: Brian E Carpenter; william(at)elan.net
Cc: ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: Multinational Internet or Balkanization?

Dear Brian,
I am afraid you do not grasp yet what it represents for the
Internet architecture.
http://www.circleid.com/posts/chinas_new_domain_names_lost_in_
translation

At 11:44 02/03/2006, Brian E Carpenter wrote:...
Ignore China?

No, that would be foolish.

We automatically ignore any pseudo-TLD that only exists
within a walled
garden, because it is simply invisible outside.

The walled garden concept does not apply here. This an open
garden, but only because the IETF technology has not
documented the appropriate walls. It is either to evaluate
that they are not necessary under certain conditions or to
offer a walling fitting the need.

It isn't part of the global Internet. If it appears in any
way outside
the walled garden, it is meaningless.
I think there are a number of examples of this already.

IMHO, what we *should* do is think about how the related requirement
can be properly defined and how it can be satisfied in the global
Internet.

Correct. But this SHOULD stands for 20 years. The ICANN ICP-3
document explicitly asked for experimentation in that area
(using a John Klensin's class oriented suggestion which
cannot scale, but goes in the proper direction).

Architecture-discuss, RFC 3066 Bis saga, reactions to the
Chinese case confirm the IETF is not ready for this yet. The
way IETF works well is in maintaining, not in innovating (it
can then be used obliging to protect the world from its
errore, all the more when in affects IANA). What China timely
publishes today is a basic feature of the International
Network: externets. I suggest we leave the concept mature as
a grassroots effort. Just refraining from hurting it. When
the result has been experimented, like for other system, the
IAB will be able to stabilise it and the IETF to maintain it.
jfc