Re: Multinational Internet or Balkanization?

2006-03-04 17:57:25
On Fri, Mar 03, 2006 at 01:00:00PM +0100,
 JFC (Jefsey) Morfin <jefsey(_at_)jefsey(_dot_)com> wrote
 a message of 154 lines which said:

(a recent IAB meeting denied interest to the word multilingual while
the rest of the world is making it a priority).

The rest of the world *talks* about it, which does not make it a
priority. At least for my language, french, I would like to see less
talk and more actual creation of content. Because there are no
technical obstacles. The IAB is mostly right to have no interest
because the *standardization* work is already done: most Internet
protocols are fully international (and the few which are not, email
addresses being the obvious example, are currently under work).

We still have technical work (adding support in the software, on the
basis of published RFC) and content work (stop doing conferences and
start typing text). But it is not a matter for the IETF, which is a
standardization body.

the work Stephane does at AFNIC for ccTLDs is admirable and of a
real great help to their community.

There is a well-known children tale in France about flattery... ("The
Raven and the Fox")

(I do not even know if AFNIC supports them yet?).

No, no IDN in ".fr", for non-technical reasons (write to your
congressman). And, no, the IAB or the ICANN cannot help here.