RE: Multinational Internet or Balkanization?

2006-03-04 19:11:05
From: JFC (Jefsey) Morfin [mailto:jefsey(_at_)jefsey(_dot_)com]

I do not understand what Phillips means?

a complex number has a real and an imaginary part, and the imaginary
part is denoted with a "j" (well, engineers use "j", mathematicians
tend to use "i").  Phillip noted that MIT could use complex
telephone
numbers for internal use without impacting worldwide
telephone routing,
since they'd use an orthogonal name space.

OK. I use "i". I never thought Philips considered "complex numbers"
because it would means he has absolutely not understood the set-up.
And, if one was able to pick it immediately I thought he
would be that one!

Please do not mistake a lack of understanding for sarcasm, ridicule and
contempt.

MIT is an engineering university which is why I specified j.