Re: Multinational Internet or Balkanization?

2006-03-03 09:46:16
JFC (Jefsey) Morfin wrote:

Whatever we may think it seems that countries allocate themselves gTLDs, isn't it?

Exactly. And lets not forget the turkish multiligual TLDs which were tested by the Public-Root on behalf of the Turkish government.

Peter Dambier wrote an excellent post to the governance conferences (WSIS) which speculates - correctly in my not so humble opinion - that countries will indeed setup their own TLDs and roots.

In other words - before this is fixed we need the technical version of the tower of Babel before we all realize the best method to use network is co-operatively. ICANN has shown us the ways of dictatorship and multiple roots will show us the way to a co-operative model. It already exists - the public-root which was the first root system - to carry the chinese TLDs.

Sure there will be some serious technical difficulties - already exists with the China root, the public-root, the unifiedroot and every other root system out there. These technical problem exist mainly for the IANA roots. They get traffic from other roots when the users system attempts resolves domains from other roots using the IANA roots, and of course fails. This traffic is now significant and one of the reasons for anycasting the IANA roots to reduce the impact on their root servers.

In short if IANA does not come along - it will become increasingly irrelevant and that has been demonstrated time and time again. Co-operation is the rule of law on the internet. You don't co-operate - you don't communicate. Its the users need to communicate which is the driving force behind the internet and those root that will remain relevant.

cheers
joe baptista