Re: IETF Last Call on draft-harrington-8021-mib-transition-01.txt

2006-03-15 12:03:10

On Wednesday, March 15, 2006 10:55:27 AM -0800 Eliot Lear <lear(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com> wrote:

Bernard,

This comment isn't directed solely at you, but...
"RFC1286, RFC1493 and RFC 1525 apparently precede any specific IETF"

Note inconsistent spacing.

As a constituent, this is not what I want IAB (or IESG) members to spend
time on, nor is it something that reviewers need bring to the attention
of the entire organization.

As someone who reviews documents, I find that even though I am reviewing for content and not proofreading, I do sometimes notice things like this. Not pointing them out when I do would be silly. Splitting the minor editorial issues into a separate list so they can be sent privately to the author _would_ be a waste of time.

I'd agree that there would have been no need for Bernard to send that comment alone to the entire IETF list. But it was a small part of a much larger message which asked real, substantive questions, and which clearly _should_ have gone to a wider audience.

-- Jeff