RE: Guidance needed on well known ports

2006-03-18 11:45:54
   1. Are well known ports archaic?  If so, can we request that the
IANA
      do away with the distinction?

I don't know whether I would use the word "archaic", but the distinction
between < 1024 and >= 1024 is certainly Unix-specific. In the Windows
operating systems, the port range 1-1023 is not special. Some Windows OS
services use low port numbers, but not all. UPNP, for example, uses
ports 1900 and 2500; the RPC applications use dynamic port numbers.

   2. If they are not archaic, under what circumstances should they be
      allocated?

I have no problem with the current system.

-- Christian Huitema