Re: Guidance needed on well known ports

2006-03-18 13:55:56
On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 12:41:25 -0800, "Christian Huitema"
<huitema(_at_)windows(_dot_)microsoft(_dot_)com> wrote:
If there is a reserved range, then it
is easy to start dynamic allocation outside the range.

Yes -- this is my point.  I don't care about Unix-style privileged
ports (and have never liked them anyway), but putting most services
outside the well-known dynamic range is a good idea.

Starting services quickly also helps with the "voluntary collisions"
between system services and applications, but is not foolproof. In any
case, it does not help with collisions between applications, e.g. two
applications trying to use the same port. What does help there is an
easily accessible registration system, so application developers can
easily "do the right thing", i.e. reserve a port and avoid collisions.
Note the emphasis on "easily accessible": if there are too many hoops to
jump through, the developers will likely just pick a number at random.

Right, though it's a delicate dancce.