Re: Guidance needed on well known ports

2006-03-24 08:33:41

Noel Chiappa wrote:
    > From: Joe Touch <touch(_at_)isi(_dot_)edu>

    >> Noel Chiappa wrote:

    >>> From: Keith Moore <moore(_at_)cs(_dot_)utk(_dot_)edu>
    >> It would be easy to run a tiny little U[D]P "binding" server that
    >> took in an application name (yes, we'd have to register those, but
    >> string-space is infinite), and returned the port.

    > Only if it asked a well-known server ON THAT MACHINE.

Yes, but why is that a problem? Again, in architectural terms, you are
limiting the scope over which the information (about which appplication is
on which port) has to be spread, to the machine it applies to - always good
when you get that kind of congruence.

It isn't a problem, but it isn't DNS if you do it that way - that was my
only observation.

Joe