Re: Guidance needed on well known ports

2006-03-24 06:57:31
    > From: "Spencer Dawkins" <spencer(_at_)mcsr-labs(_dot_)org>

    > I have learned not to tell people (especially Keith and Noel)

Hey, I'm nowhere near as hypergolic on this as Keith is... :-)

    > that DNS is the right answer to all questions,

Well, it works fine for what it was designed to do. Problem is, people get
into this "hammer-nail" mode, and they have a problem to solve, and not enough
(protocol) tools to do it with... (ARP used to suffer the same problem.)

    > it is significantly difficult having most of the machines on the net
    > impossible to locate from most of the other machines on the net.

That's more because of NAT, than anything else. Even if you had the IP
address, in most cases it wouldn't do you any good. (But now we are drifting
off-topic, let's not turn this into the usual NAT rant - or Keith will
*really* get going! :-)

        Noel