RE: Stupid NAT tricks and how to stop them.

2006-03-28 11:46:19
Noel,

        Delivering IP packets _always_ involves a translation
service.  Usually, more than one, but - assuming we start
with IP addresses - there is at least one MAC (or other L2)
lookup that must occur before the packets can be delivered.

        We should be careful not to assert "layer dependent"
statements in a world in which layering is only locally
unambiguous.

        The problem with the "road-network" analog is that I
have no "intrinsic" requirement to relinquish "my" network
address because I've become mobile.  The same thing could -
in theory - be said about street addresses, but the current
binding/interpretation of street addresses is entrenched in
centuries of usage that prevents this from (probably) ever
becoming practical.

        That is not only NOT true in theory for IP(v4/v6)
addresses, it is not true in practice.

--
Eric