RE: Stupid NAT tricks and how to stop them.

2006-03-28 10:56:20
If we are willing to accept arbitrarily long paths to get from point A to point B, there are techniques which allow topologically insensitive packet handling. The Home-Register (aka HLR lookup) is one way. (The routing reserachers have described this topic as "stretch > 1" routing. There are many non-deployable ideas there. If we really didn't care about path distortion at all, I am sure something deployable could be crafted.) Note however that local number portability is actually a bad analogy. The phone system internally does not work on phone numbers any more (it once did). Your phone number is really more akin to an identity. Phone you call someone, the system does a name lookup (ala DNS) and then gets a routable location.

Yours,
Joel