PI space (was: Stupid NAT tricks and how to stop them)

2006-03-29 14:05:01
    > From: "Michel Py"
<michel(_at_)arneill-py(_dot_)sacramento(_dot_)ca(_dot_)us>

    >> We aren't *ever* going to give everyone PI space (at least, PI space
    >> in whatever namespace the routers use to forward packets) ...
    >> Routing (i.e. path-finding) algorithms simply cannot cope with
    >> tracking 10^9 individual destinations (see prior message).

    > I think you're dead wrong on this. This reasoning was valid with 10^8
    > Hz processors and 10^8 bytes of memory it's no longer true with 10^11
    > or 10^12 Hz processors and memory (we're almost at 10^10 cheap ones).

The last time I heard, the speed of light was still a constant. And the
current routing architecture is based on distributed computation.

I.e. router A does some computing, passes partial results to router B, which
does some more computing, and in turn passes the partial results to router C.
After some amount of this back and forth across the network, the route is
eventually computed and installed.

Needless to say, the real-time taken for this process to complete - i.e. for
routes to a particular destination to stabilize, after a topology change
which affects some subset of them - is dominated by the speed-of-light
transmission delays across the Internet fabric. You can make the speed of
your processors infinite and it won't make much of a difference.

        Noel