Re: 128 bits should be enough for everyone, was: IPv6 vs. Stupid NAT tricks: false dichotomy? (Was: Re: Stupid NAT tricks and how to stop them.)

2006-03-30 03:27:00
Dear Illjitsch,
full agreement with everything you say.

In addition please consider that engineers want to square several informations within a single space. So to the lose of numbering space they add rigidity wich operationnally kills still more space. Actually there is a 32 Hexa long address space. Question 1 is how many Hexa to protocol, how many to routing, how many to addressing and how many to subaddressing. Question 2 are the solutions to save space depending on the use within that ABNF without removing operational simplicity. It seems absurd to give my mobile as many local addresses than to a large corporation network. Question 3 is interoperability of the various addressing spaces.

Anyone having to build a numbering plan for any kind of nomenclature has the same problem and faces the same erroneous propositions. I wander if someone wrote a book about that kind of experience the world could take advantage from. The problem is that this incertainity blocks network application needind a stable relative numbering plans.
jfc

At 06:26 30/03/2006, Anthony G. Atkielski wrote:
Iljitsch van Beijnum writes:

> So how big would you like addresses to be, then?

<snip>