Re: Stupid NAT tricks and how to stop them.

2006-03-30 02:07:11
On 30-mrt-2006, at 10:29, marcelo bagnulo braun wrote:

And people wonder why NATs proliferate... much of the world has no option but to live with them. This is a direct result of policy discouraging IPv4 address allocation.

sorry for asking, but what policy are you referring to?

RIR policy?

Can you point out any RIRs policy that prevents from getting one public IPv4 address per machine connected to the Internet?

On a somewhat (un)related note: it's not easy for ISPs to give out two or three IP addresses to customers because there is no good mechanism to do so. One address works very well with PPP or DHCP, but a specific number other than one doesn't, so the next step is something like a /29.

On an even more (un)related note: it's not possible to give IPv6 addresses to customers over PPP, and it's very inconvenient to make a /64 - /48 be routed towards a customer router that dynamically connects to an ISP network. (I.e., my cell phone is a router and it dials up, it gets an address through stateless autoconfig but then my laptop, PDA etc that use the cell phone as their router aren't automatically reachable.)

Some more work on provisioning mechanisms wouldn't be a bad thing.