Re: Stupid NAT tricks and how to stop them.

2006-03-30 09:45:15
However, we need to keep something else in mind, which Iljitsch's note hints at. If I'm an ISP trying to sell a low-end service to low-end customers at a low (but still profitable) price, I need to cut customer support costs to the absolute minimum. If someone calls up for help with a configuration problem, that may be six month's of profits from that customer eaten up in the cost of answering the call.

I find myself wondering, don't they get support calls from customers having to deal with the problems caused by the NATs?

For the community, there are elements of "you get what you pay for" in this. And, for the ISPs, unless we figure out ways to provide the same level of support convenience with public addresses, we will certainly see NATs with IPv6 as well as IPv4.

either that, or IPv6 will be seen as something that is "business use only".

Keith