Re: Stupid NAT tricks and how to stop them.

2006-03-30 10:04:00
On Thu, Mar 30, 2006 at 11:44:37AM -0500, Keith Moore wrote:
However, we need to keep something else in mind, which Iljitsch's note
hints at.  If I'm an ISP trying to sell a low-end service to low-end
customers at a low  (but still profitable) price, I need to cut customer
support costs to the absolute minimum.  If someone calls up for help
with a configuration problem, that may be six month's of profits from
that customer eaten up in the cost of answering the call.

I find myself wondering, don't they get support calls from customers
having to deal with the problems caused by the NATs?

No, because most customers browse the web, read e-mail, use skype/VOIP
services, and all of those work under NAT.  A number of VPN packages
break, (a) that's not that common compared the huge number of
residential customers that aren't doing VPN's for work-at-home setups,
andin any case, those complaints usually gets sent to the company help
desk, and a number of VPN's have solutions that work with NAT's
anyway.

The problems caused by NAT's are the sort of things that don't
normally show up at ISP help desks; the new applications that are not
written, the architectures that are torqued to deal with NAT's, etc.

                                        - Ted