Re: Stupid NAT tricks and how to stop them.

2006-03-28 03:55:12
On Tue Mar 28 11:33:27 2006, Austin Schutz wrote:
        The limitations of NAT you mention make little difference to most
of the NAT users I am familiar with. These are typically end users or small organizations. They generally don't know what they are missing, and NAT
works adequately well for their purposes.

Ah, but there's more. NAT is sold as a firewalling solution, not as a cheap hack to share a single-user DSL.

        The financial penalty from using non-natted ipv4 space is less of
an issue to larger organizations.

The first time I saw NAT outside of the hacker-at-home was in a reasonably sized ISP, about ten years ago. Since NAT is sold as a foolproof plug-and-play firewall - the lack of global addressability is promoted as an advantage - then larger organizations do use it.

Dave.
--
          You see things; and you say "Why?"
   - George Bernard Shaw