Re: Stupid NAT tricks and how to stop them.

2006-03-30 00:33:53

On 29/03/2006, at 5:10 AM, Scott Leibrand wrote:

On 03/28/06 at 7:00am +0200, Anthony G. Atkielski <anthony(_at_)atkielski(_dot_)com> wrote:

Agreed, but they reduce the amount of money you must pay to your ISP
each month by a factor of ten or more.

Your ISP charges you 9 times as much for IPv4 addresses as they do for
bandwidth? I'd recommend switching ISPs. All the ones I've seen charge a small premium for additional IP space, but it's never more than about a
50% premium.

Not if you don't live in the US. There are no options here that are at all cheap. Usually you get a flat "we don't do that". And they don't do v6 either.

And people wonder why NATs proliferate... much of the world has no option but to live with them. This is a direct result of policy discouraging IPv4 address allocation.

Andrew