Re: Stupid NAT tricks and how to stop them.

2006-03-30 20:45:37
Thus spake "Keith Moore" <moore(_at_)cs(_dot_)utk(_dot_)edu>
Now of course this ISP does have a T&C that prohibits running a server,
but "server" is a pretty vague term, and you don't have to be running
any kind of server to suffer from NAT brain-damage.

My ISP has ingeniously defined a "server" as any application that does not work through NAT without port forwarding. Bingo, problem solved (from their perspective).

Of course, they don't actually enforce this unless a user's upstream bandwidth usage consistently exceeds total POP upstream bandwidth divided by the number of users at the POP (in my case, about 300kB/s). Go above that and you get an email asking you to turn down the speed on your P2P client ;-)

p.s. fwiw the workaround in my case was to tell the modem to work in
"passthrough" mode and configure my local router to run PPPoE.
Under those conditions, I'm happy to report, 6to4 works just fine.

Alas, I've been unable to find a consumer-grade router that will run native IPv6, 6to4, or even pass through IPinIP (excluding open-source hacks which are not supported by the vendor -- that's not a solution for real consumers). If anyone knows of one, please let me know off-list.

Stephen Sprunk        "Stupid people surround themselves with smart
CCIE #3723           people.  Smart people surround themselves with