Re: [narten(_at_)us(_dot_)ibm(_dot_)com: PI addressing in IPv6 advances in ARIN]

2006-04-14 10:04:05
On 14-apr-2006, at 18:51, Kevin Loch wrote:

Even more amazing: 60 people who represent nobody but their own paycheck get to blow up the internet.

I find this comment extremely offensive.  Nobody in that room
would have supported a policy they actually believed would blow up
the Internet.  Your implication that the participants were
either uninformed or diddn't care about the consequences is
completely off base.

I'm not saying that these people expected the internet to melt down by supporting this policy, but that's exactly the problem. Within the IETF, we've been working long and hard to find a way to allow for multihoming that we KNOW won't melt the internet, and now just as these efforts are getting close to paying off (shim6) a small group of people decides to throw caution in the wind and adopt a policy that opens the door to exactly the problems the IETF has been working so hard to avoid. The trouble is that we don't know for sure that doing this will turn out very bad, but there is a risk and with something as important as the internet has become, it's a very bad idea to take these kinds of risks.

We have two failures: lack of foresight by the 60 people who are in favor of this, and a failure to set the I* community decision making up in a way that various parts support the same outcome.

Where is ICANN when you need it? This little experiment in playground democracy has to end before people get hurt.

You would actually prefer ICANN replace the open policy process
of the RIR's?

Openness is good, but I'll take good decisions, however they're reached, over ones of questionable quality that were reached in an open process any day.

ARIN participants are simply following the principles the IETF used
to use: rough consensus AND running code.

Both the IETF and the RIRs suffer from the problem that the people that speak up are self-selected. Also, the fact that each RIR comes up with its own policies but that the result shows up in routing tables world wide makes no sense.