Re: [narten(_at_)us(_dot_)ibm(_dot_)com: PI addressing in IPv6 advances in ARIN]

2006-04-20 05:55:49
Peter Sherbin wrote:

This is a proper model which should remain this way with a little fix. IETF
engineering effort is funded (indirectly) by the employers of the engineers.
RIRs
administrative work is funded through membership and allocation fees, which
essentially equals selling of IP addresses. Because the Internet is a shared
resourse its enablers such as IP addresses are not for sale but rather for a
free
assignment to everyone. RIRs function should be funded through a politically /
economically neutral body, e.g. UN. Technically the current way of RIR cost
recovery
hinders the network neutrality.

I wouldn't consider any policital body, especially the UN to be
politically (and thus economically) neutral.  I also don't see how RIR
fees affect policy in any way.  At least in ARIN, anyone is allowed to
participate in the policy process regardless of resources delegated or
fees paid.

- Kevin