policy enforcement points and management [RE: Last Call: 'NAT Behavioral Requirements for Unicast UDP' to BCP (draft-ietf-behave-nat-udp)]

2006-05-15 22:12:03
On Mon, 15 May 2006, Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:
From: Jeffrey Hutzelman [mailto:jhutz(_at_)cmu(_dot_)edu]

Sure.  But a policy enforcement point must necessarily be
configured; otherwise, how is it going to know what policy to enforce?

The policy can be generated automatically from the network configuration and the authorized hosts and applications authorized to run on those hosts.

I think the discussion about policy enforcement points and their management is out of scope for this work.

On the other hand, there is a proposed WG (they had a BoF at the last IETF) -- NEA (Network End-point Assessment) which aims to do something about this space.

I'd recommend folks interested in it go take a look: