RE: policy enforcement points and management [RE: Last Call: 'NAT Behavioral Requirements for Unicast UDP' to BCP (draft-ietf-behave-nat-udp)]

2006-05-16 06:58:48
On the other hand, there is a proposed WG (they had a BoF at the last
IETF) -- NEA (Network End-point Assessment) which aims to do
something about this space.

I'd recommend folks interested in it go take a look:

Perhaps this is the solution. But we seem to be constantly working as if we
were a confederation of independent watchmakers independently producing designs
for cogs and springs with nobody proposing a way to put them together.

This is what one might imagine the IAB would be doing. In practice the IAB
appears to be deliberately constituted to make any attempt to claim such a role
impossible. For any group to make a claim to providing an overarching
architectural framework it must have the active support and engagement of the
working groups.