RE: Questions about draft-lear-iana-no-more-well-known-ports-00.txt

2006-06-06 09:26:50
From: Joe Touch [mailto:touch(_at_)ISI(_dot_)EDU]

The second is a problem, for reasons
explained in my I-D, because it puts control over host
service offerings in the hands of whomever controls its DNS
(e.g., another thing for ISPs to claim makes you a commercial
customer at commercial prices) and because it's inefficient.

This is an irrelevant issue based on a premise that is absolutely and totally
wrong.

There is NO CHANGE OF CONTROL due to SRV, none, zip, nadda.

If a party controls the DNS information for a host it controls all name based
inbound connections to that host absolutely and irrevocably.

Devolving additional functions to the DNS does not entail any change of control
because that control is already lost.

If I control example.com I control the inbound email, web, ftp services. If you
are binding to a raw IP address then SRV is not exactly going to be very
relevant in any case is it?

The Internet is the DNS, the IP based packet transport is mere plumbing.

If someone wants to be a first class citizen on the Internet they have to own
and control their own DNS service. Otherwise they can have no meaningful
control or security.

DNS names are not free but they are exceptionaly cheap. If you want to put up
some service and your ISP refuses to allow you control of the DNS there are
plenty of DNS service providers who will be happy to help.