Re: Comments on draft-iab-rfc-editor: IETF control

2006-06-09 12:20:24
At 02:31 PM 6/9/2006, Eliot Lear wrote:
Mike,

Are you suggesting that the ISOC pull RFC Editor funding and invest in
another series where the community has more say?  Otherwise one person
can override the will of the community, as Jon did on more than one
occasion.  I don't think we want that any more.  I certainly don't.

Eliot

I'm saying that may actually be the right answer for what seems to be a desire for control.

Without knowing the specifics of Jon's overrides - I can only say that those I know of involved poorly written or unclear documents that Jon was exercising reasonable editorial control over. If you're saying that we don't want an editor for the series - e.g. just publish what the IESG approves - let's just shut down the RFC series and open up an Internet Standards series that gets published by placing it on the website - e.g. closer to what we do with the ID series.

If we want an editor (a real editor that is - not just someone with the title but just does administrative stuff), then that editor needs to have some measure of control over the series and YES a veto for publication within that series when the submissions don't meet the standards for publication.

I really don't care which at this point, but the IETF can't have it both ways.