Re: Comments on draft-iab-rfc-editor: IETF control

2006-06-14 10:38:31

Without knowing the specifics of Jon's overrides - I can only say
that those I know of involved poorly written or unclear documents
that Jon was exercising reasonable editorial control over.  If you're
saying that we don't want an editor for the series - e.g. just
publish what the IESG approves - let's just shut down the RFC series
and open up an Internet Standards series that gets published by
placing it on the website - e.g. closer to what we do with the ID series.

        Mike (and others w/ shorter institutional memories) you
        may recall that there have been several series of Internet
        related documents, of which the RFC series is but one.
        Jon was the IEN archive'est (is that a word?) at the same
        time he was the RFC editor.

        One very reasonable choice, IMHO, is to let the IESG/IAB/ISOC
        folks create a new, unlinked series of Internet Standards
        that does not involve the (apparently) messy problem of
        dealing with material that does not get funneled into its
        fairly rigid suite of processes.  I've not heard a compelling
        technical reason to "rein-in" the RFC process, only legalistic
        ones.

--bill