Re: Last Call: 'Proposed Experiment: Normative Format in Addition to ASCII Text' to Experimental RFC (draft-ash-alt-formats)

2006-06-16 00:23:04
On Thu, Jun 15, 2006 at 09:01:22AM -0700,
 Joe Touch <touch(_at_)ISI(_dot_)EDU> wrote
 a message of 34 lines which said:

IMHO, IETF should always publish the "source" of its documents
(the current RFC process is far from perfect in that respect).

Which source

The source. The author certainly knows it (yes, I'm aware that the RFC
editor performs changes which are not backported in the author's copy,
a really annoying thing; that's why I said the current process is
bad).

(XML2RFC is only one; some use troff, and others use Word, among
others)

Sure. This is not a problem for me. I just want to see the source, as
the author saw it.

Why would inter-source conversion be more useful than cut-and-paste?

I don't have experience with MS-Word but (re)generating the RFC 2629
source from the ASCII version is a big pain (while there are automatic
converters, for instance from *roff to XML and, of course, from one
XML to the other).