RE: Last Call: 'Proposed Experiment: Normative Formatin AdditiontoASCII Text' to Experimental RFC (draft-ash-alt-formats)

2006-06-16 01:50:42
At 02:49 06/06/16, Lyndon Nerenberg wrote:
 * Use of MHTML as the archive packaging.
 * Use of XHTML 1.0 as the document encoding.
 * Use of a standard IETF defined style sheet.
 * Use of PNG encoding for all images.

I'm in agreement with the first three, but I disagree with using PNG for
graphics.  PNG is a device output format that doesn't mesh with the other
three, which are media-neutral input formats.

Output media properties change (rapidly) over time.  PNG doesn't accommodate
changing output device resolution nicely.  Do you generate graphics for 72DPI?
100? 300?  None of these will scale (literally or figuratively) to the 1600DPI
(and beyond) devices we can expect in the foreseeable future.  In this case I
think SVG is a better alternative.  It has the attributes of PNG (open
standard, unencumbered IPR) and the added benefit of media independence.

As it happens, SVG requires support for PNG, see
http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/REC-SVG11-20030114/struct.html#ImageElement.
But PNG should only be used for raster images, not for graphics.
SVG will provide the necessary scaling/positioning information for
embedded PNG images, so the device resolution concern is addressed.

Regards,    Martin.

#-#-#  http://www.sw.it.aoyama.ac.jp
mailto:duerst(_at_)it(_dot_)aoyama(_dot_)ac(_dot_)jp