Re: Last Call: 'Proposed Experiment: Normative Formatin AdditiontoASCII Text' to Experimental RFC (draft-ash-alt-formats)

2006-06-16 10:37:34

As far as I know, support for SVG or _any_ vector image format is much, much less common than for bitmap formats such as PNG or GIF.

Yes, but SVG is catching up rapidly. As a W3C standard, it *will* be widely implemented.

So editing bitmaps is fairly trivial with well-defined results. With vector formats, there is a very complex one-way relationship between the file and what you see on the screen so the ability to edit them requires much, much more complexity.

But we are describing an *archival* format. It's not important that they be editable, it's important that they be renderable on the widest range of output devices as is possible.

--lyndon