RE: Last Call: 'Proposed Experiment: Normative Format in AdditiontoASCII Text' to Experimental RFC (draft-ash-alt-formats)

2006-06-15 10:50:15
 * Use of MHTML as the archive packaging.
 * Use of XHTML 1.0 as the document encoding.
 * Use of a standard IETF defined style sheet.
 * Use of PNG encoding for all images.

I'm in agreement with the first three, but I disagree with using PNG for graphics. PNG is a device output format that doesn't mesh with the other three, which are media-neutral input formats.

Output media properties change (rapidly) over time. PNG doesn't accommodate changing output device resolution nicely. Do you generate graphics for 72DPI? 100? 300? None of these will scale (literally or figuratively) to the 1600DPI (and beyond) devices we can expect in the foreseeable future. In this case I think SVG is a better alternative. It has the attributes of PNG (open standard, unencumbered IPR) and the added benefit of media independence.

--lyndon